Here’s an image of the bases of three tables in various stages of construction in the shop. On the left are two of my original design Book Tables, and on the right is a reproduction Queen Anne table with a swing leg. The stock for the mahogany table top is in the background, leaning against the wall.
Here’s a pile of resawn poplar, awaiting glue-up to become drawer sides for two bedroom sets. The red “code” markings will help me glue the correct pieces together to ensure I end up with drawer sides just slightly oversized, allowing for precise fitting during final assembly.
Resting on sawhorses next to my bench, the carcase parts for a cherry wall cabinet are in the process of being hand-planed. When they’re not actually on the bench, they rest on stickers to permit air circulation all around. This practice helps to control wood movement caused by one face of a board becoming drier than the other.
It’s hard to do justice (with a photo) to the drastic difference between a sanded and a hand-planed surface. This is a closer view of one of the cherry wall cabinet sides, halfway through the planing process. I used a wide-belt sander to initially flatten and level the surfaces. That surface (on the left in this photo) is dull and lifeless. The right-hand portion of the board shows the true color and figure of the cherry. The color difference is due only to hand-planing. Both halves of this piece came from the same piece of lumber.
Where I Work
Images of my shop space, from excavation through completion.
After working all my life in garages and basements, carrying lumber down stairs or feeding it through basement windows, and breaking out more light bulbs and fluorescent tubes than I can count, I decided to do something about it.
I wanted a place that fit with my home – that didn’t look like a “shop”. In this area, “shop” means “pole building”. I knew I couldn’t afford to contract out the entire project so instead I set out to do all of the work myself, save those tasks that I was simply not equipped to undertake. So I had the excavation done, and later had the roof trusses constructed and set by a framing crew. I also subcontracted the Sheetrock. Hauling plywood up to the roof was hard enough. I had no ambition to hang rock on the ceiling.
Beyond that, this is my work.
More images to come.